AGEING AND HEALTH
Source: World Health Organization
WHAT IS HEALTHY AGING?
According to World Health Organization, Healthy Ageing is about maintaining the functional ability that allows you to do the things you value as you grow older. This means preserving both your physical and mental capacity as you age - it also means making changes to our environments so that they are accessible to and supportive of older people with varying needs and capacities. ¹
As an individual grows older, their health outcomes, needs and what they value change.
EVERY OLDER PERSON IS DIFFERENT
Some senior person the level of functioning of a 30-year-old. On the other hand, some may require full time assistance for basic everyday tasks.2
FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE THE LEVEL OF HEALTH AT OLD AGE 2
- Age-Related Changes
- Assistive Technologies
- Social Facilities
TIPS TOWARDS ADAPTING YOURSELF IN AGING YEARS
Recommendation from the Ministry of Health Malaysia3
- Practice good mental health.
- Know your rights as
Example: Discounts for seniors, Health support and Wellness Facilities
- Mingle with friends of the same age.
- Fully utilize time doing activities you personally enjoy and fun as
- Take care of your personal health. Exercise regularly, eat balanced food and drink enough water.
- Having a family bonding activity.
- Be realistic about self-change as in terms of physical strength, memory, and focus.
1. 2017, September 25). Healthy Ageing and the Sustainable Development Goals. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/ageing/sdgs/en/
2. H. O. (2015). Healthy-ageing-infographic world report 2015 launch. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/ageing/events/world-report-2015-launch/healthy-ageing-infographic.jpg?ua=1
3. K. (2015). Menyesuaikan diri [Pamphlet]. Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia